Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunscreen

Salem flows past my truck's windows, tunes blasting out of the speakers. I haven't taken this route since I went to college. I am conducting a postmortem on yesterday's class. It was the first time I have taught with Carl in a long time and I am recalling how much fun that is.

Turning onto a tree lined street, memories surface of racing through commuter traffic to my first class of the day music cranked on the tape deck. Yesterday one of the students taught skills in the fashion I experienced when I first started kayaking. Times have changed and the skills are approached differently but I smile in nostalgia. There is progress in my current teaching techniques. Carl's have advanced as well and there is more to respect about his abilities.

The Dresden Dolls are covering "Pretty in Pink". I barely passed Economics and Business Math twenty years ago at the South Campus not 200 yards to my right. There is a little more pride in how yesterday went. I can only find 2 times when what I said was more superfluous than I prefer. My poorest decision of the day was ignoring the little voice that said the back of my hands should get sunscreen. They are red with a burn.

Walking into Whole Foods, I hear Modern English singing "...I'll stop the world and melt with you."  I am happy with how my past and present are blending.

No comments: