Monday, September 8, 2008

Swim


“What the heck, he said” is a phrase a guy I used to work for says. He says it when something isn’t the way it is supposed to be. It is the phrase that went through my mind Sunday evening when floating upside down in my surf boat. I couldn’t roll. I am not sure why, I went through all the correct motions but there I was, upside down and running out of O2. “What the heck, he said!” I reached forward, popped the skirt and eeled out of my boat. Hitting the surface was a bit of a relief after I spit out a mouthful of seawater. This was the 3rd time in my kayaking life that I have almost inhaled seawater.

“bit of a relief” is about right. There I was floating with my lap plate, paddle and kayak. Carl and Mike paddled over to see if I was ok…I was, sort of. One doesn’t die of embarrassment. I corralled my stuff back to the beach in one of the longer swims of my life. I jumped back in the boat and headed back out. If one was to get metaphysical about it, I sacrificed my ego to get better at surfing.

No comments: