Monday, October 19, 2009

Running Cool

Current tugs at the fin. My weight frees the nose from the shore and the board gathers speed down the river.

I must be a sight to see. Black and yellow legs stick out from under a bright orange cag with reflective tape. The hood is pulled tight and rain drips off the brim of my hat.

My paddle dips into the water. I am off. Water lapping up and under the front of the board has me fascinated for a while. Entranced, I have to push myself to look up.

Grasses bend in the wind. Held by the sight, I could stop and watch for the rest of existence. It would be joyful to provide witness for this place.

Sam joins me on the river. She is also bundled but nowhere near as garishly. We head towards Hix. The browns, reds, yellows and greens make this my favorite time of year.

No comments: